All drivers are required to follow the rules of the road and operate their vehicles safely. Negligent driving is very serious and can cause devastating accidents on Maryland roads. When they do happen, the individuals who are involved can sustain injuries that have the potential to be life-changing. Those who find themselves in these situations can pursue legal action to recover compensation. In doing so, be sure to retain the services of an experienced Maryland personal injury attorney for assistance with your case.
What do I do After an Accident?
Regardless of the vehicle you drive, whether it may be a car, bike, motorcycle, or truck, there are steps that should be taken after an accident. The following can help you get the most out of a terrible situation:?
- Contact the police even if the other party tells you not to. The police can keep the scene safe, draft an official report, take witness statements, and more.?
- Do not apologize. While it can be an impulse to apologize after an accident, this can sometimes be seen as an admission of fault. Instead, be polite and avoid apologies.?
- Take pictures or video of the scene. This can include broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, and bloodstains as well as poor weather or road conditions.
- Record important information. Obtain contact information from any witnesses and document the registration information of the vehicles involved.
- Seek medical attention even if you do not feel injured, as symptoms can show up later on. See a doctor for an official diagnosis.
Pursuing Legal Action
After an auto accident takes place, injured parties have the right to file a personal injury claim. This is done in order to pursue legal action against the negligent party who caused the accident. To be successful in doing so, they are required to prove that negligence took place, therefore directly causing the accident and their injuries. This can be done by gathering evidence such as medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene/accident, witness statements, a police report from the scene, and more. If successful, the injured party may receive compensation as coverage for any damages due to the accident.?
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured as a result of a personal injury accident and wish to speak with an attorney, contact Ruben Law Firm today.