When we get in the car, we don’t expect to get into an accident. But, there are millions of car crashes a year. Unfortunately, car crashes are incredibly common. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event that you find yourself injured in one.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents are most commonly caused by driver negligence. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Failure to yield
- Failure to follow road signs and lights
What Do I Do if I am Injured in an Accident
If you are a passenger and you are injured due to the negligence of the driver, there are some important steps you should take:
- Call 911
- The police will file an accident report detailing who was driving at the time. Additionally, they can conduct chemical tests and gather witness statements to help determine the cause of the accident.
- Document the scene
- When it comes to a personal injury case, it is important to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to document any damage done to the cars or property involved. Take your own photos, rather than relying on the driver’s photos.
- Go to the hospital
- It is often tempting to skip the doctor and recover at home, but it is important to seek medical attention. At the hospital, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Obtain witness contacts
- If someone saw your accident occur, obtain their contact information. You and the driver may have conflicting opinions regarding the cause of the accident. A third-party witness may be able to corroborate your version of events.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Maryland car accident, contact our firm today.
Contact our experienced Maryland Firm
Here at the Ruben Law Firm, we understand how much your legal situation means to you. That is why we pledge to provide you with the personalized attention you deserve, every step of the way. Our firm is more than happy to assist you through matters of personal injury law, bankruptcy, family law, criminal defense, and estate planning. Attorney Ruben has helped clients achieve favorable results in a wide array of legal matters for years, and he is ready to do the same for you. Simply contact the Ruben Law Firm today.